My Life as an Orange Crayon…

November 1st, 2009 kcshap13

Happy Halloween weekend everyone!

Another year has passed and I have to say that this year’s Halloween at Holy Cross was up there with the best of them. On Friday, my friends Molly, Shannon, and I volunteered at Friendly House (Our S.P.U.D. program in Worcester) and supervised games and a costume competition. Even though I was a little hesitant about working with little kids every Monday, I’ve come to look forward to spending time with my 8-year-old friends! Plus, I realize just how much attention kids need, especially these kids. Every Monday I am met with conflicting emotions: both the happiness of being able to play with them and the satisfaction of such a rewarding experience, and the sadness I feel when I realize the disadvantages these kids have that often result in behavioral/developmental/learning problems. Anyways, back to Friday night. I had promised Kiana and Ashley in particular that I would be at their Halloween party to see all their costumes, however unfortunately I came from 6-8 instead of from 3-5, so I missed seeing them! It’s sad that I can claim that “All my friends are 8 and under!” But hey, maybe they are… Kidding! It did turn out to be a really good time; we dressed up in M&M costumes, and one kid was an amazing breakdancer!

Afterwards on Friday night, C.A.B. (Campus Activities Board) brought in a Ghost Hunter. Even though it was the Friday of Halloween weekend, the room was packed. He started with a powerpoint on background information about the supernatural (the difference between ghosts and poltergeists, etc etc.) and showed us some E.V.P.s (sound clips of ghosts). I don’t really believe in any of it, and granted I could only hear  something in about 30 percent of them, but it was still terrifying and fun. I left after the lecture, but some of my friends then went on a “Ghost Tour” of Holy Cross’s campus, which has been rumored to be haunted. The legend goes that there was an exorcism in the top of Fenwick, and the group on the tour said that they heard voices. CREEPY!

On Saturday, my friend Alex and I re-donned our M&M costumes and ran in the 2.5 Miles for Smiles race to benefit a club on campus that helps children with cleft palates. It was really fun, but really hard! Although I’ve gone to the track and used the treadmill at the gym, it was my first experience running on Mount St. James. Of course, we started with a HUGE hill that basically killed me. Plus, the blue M&M costume I was wearing happened to hold in heat and was quite wind resistant… Who would have thought? Luckily, my friend Alex (red M&M) coached me through it, and we were rewarded afterward with free ice cream!

Later on Saturday, my roommate Hana and I carved a pumpkin that turned out interestingly… And prepared our Halloween costumes. On Family Weekend I had asked my mom to bring up all the old costumes my sisters and I had worn, which turned out to be hilarious. We made use of all of them: the red and blue M&Ms, a cow, a “deviled egg,” and, my costume of choice on Saturday, an orange crayon. I was pleasantly surprised that, for the most part, people at HC get really into dressing up for Halloween. I saw some clever costumes, from the crew team as lumberjacks to a giant leprechaun!

3 Responses to “My Life as an Orange Crayon…”

1. MAURICE says:

CheapTabletsOnline.Com. Canadian Health&Care.No prescription online pharmacy.Special Internet Prices.Best quality drugs. Online Pharmacy. Buy pills online

Buy:Lumigan.100% Pure Okinawan Coral Calcium.Actos.Nexium.Mega Hoodia.Synthroid.Zyban.Accutane.Human Growth Hormone.Zovirax.Valtrex.Prevacid.Prednisolone.Petcam (Metacam) Oral Suspension.Retin-A.Arimidex….

2. JAIME says:

NEW FASHION store. Original designers collection at low prices!!! 20 % TO 70 % OFF. END OF SEASON SALE!!!

BUY FASHION. TOP BRANDS: GUCCI, DOLCE&GABBANA, BURBERRY, DIESEL, ICEBERG, ROBERTO CAVALLI, EMPORIO ARMANI, VERSACE…

3. ANTHONY says:

..

Buydrugs without prescription…

Katharine Shapleigh '13

• Studies: Studies in world literature major with Peace and Conflict Studies concentration
  • Hometown: St. Louis
  •  
  • Read more about Katharine »